Monday, December 20, 2004

Identity Crisis #7 / DC

No CCA. No MR.

Someone mentioned spoilers in the comments. I'm not going to put spoilers in every post, this whole site is a spoiler by nature. But this once I'll give a heads up.

******SPOILERS

Jean Loring did it. Big whoop. Nothing violent in this issue. The only really depraved thing that happened was Ray Palmer allowing his ex-wife to be taken to a mental institution known as Arkham Asylum. You have to really hate someone to put them there. Nobody gets better, in fact people wind up dead pretty regularly.

Before Dead Chicks I had written about Identity Crisis a couple times on my other site, here and here. The depth of disgust I have for DC over this is hard to describe.

We have what looks like a brutal murder in issue #1, a rape in #2 and in #4 we have an innocent man die from a boomerang in his chest. A boomerang! And now in the end we have culprit who is simply a very sad and deranged woman.

I haven't gotten a page on the standards yet but here is a link to the CCA. I realize its dated but it does make a certain distinction that's important: "In every instance good shall triumph over evil and the criminal punished for his misdeeds." In this story the killer wasn't evil and the heroes weren't good. It was a giant sadistic story about nothing. To believe in everything is to believe in nothing and to believe in nothing is to believe in everything. That's a terrible thing to push on a child whose main purpose at that stage in life is to be looking for something.

And yes this was sold to kids. There's no Mature Readers label on this. Elongated Man lost his wife but Batman is on I think 4 covers, Wonder Woman on 2 and Superman on 1. I mentioned this on my previous post about Robin. It was his dad that was killed by the boomerang so if your a Robin reader you need IC for the story. Robin is in Teen Titans which is also dealing with IC fallout so back to IC. Sometimes I get mad at titles when they don't use footnotes like they use to (check out issue ### for the details!). Well... they did it in the most recent issue of Flash! and where did they point them? IC!

Shame on DC and everyone who had a hand in this.

2 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Greg-

In your linked posts you mention writing DC about these issues. I recently emailed their editors after stumbling upon an oral sex reference in Superman #210, and Marvel's editors regarding the whole "Gwen shagging the Goblin" story. It's been about a month or two since I sent those messages and got zero response. I wondered if you had any luck yourself.

December 20, 2004 at 8:59 PM  
Blogger Greg McClay said...

Zip. When I get back from Christmas vacation I'll resend the letter with a few extra tidbits along with the remaining issues of the series. For them a little controversy is good for business. Its not until the heat is really turned up that they pay any attention.

December 21, 2004 at 9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home