Thursday, December 09, 2004

Superman/Batman #15 / DC

This actually has the CCA on it which proves my previous post about its irrelevance.

This is basically an 'Elseworlds' storyline which means nothings real and heroes can die. Thats taken into account but its also seems to have been used for an excuse.

The cover itself shows Batman in background lying on rubble. You can't see his head but the blood on his chest implies the possibility that the head might not be there.

Phantom Lady is shown working in a strip club but the arguemet is made by Uncle Sam not to judge. Again, its an Elseworlds.

After a fight in which Batman uses magic to win he makes the statement: "But whatever Voodoo we beat out of that witch Zatanna before she died... it worked"

Batman shoots The Ray in the head.

Wonder Woman impales Batman on a sword, full page image. After which Superman beats on Wonder Woman for 5 panels ending with a full page image of Superman strangling Wonder Woman with her lasso. A site and theme I'm going to refer to often here is "Women In Refrigerators". The image of Batman dying is violent but the detail given to Wonder Woman's death is much more graphic and disturbing.

On the next page we have Superman 'shooting' another hero in the head with his heat vision.

Next to the last page shows 3 people reduced to skeltons from an atomic explosion.

Violence : 5 Sex : 0 Depravity : 5



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is basically an 'Elseworlds' storyline which means nothings real and heroes can die. Thats taken into account but its also seems to have been used for an excuse.This is basically a comic book - which means that nothing's real. Indeed because this is merely pictures drawn on paper it is completely divoirced from reality in a way TV is not. There's no way any rational being can confuse this for reality.

Also why is it OK for you to read these if it's not OK for someone else to read this? Are you going to turn into a socially misadjusted misanththrope serial killer as part of your martyrdom for the rest of the world? Or are you some sort of uber-being who won't be influenced by what you seem to think are the toxic effects of this content? Did you decide that you were immune from the deleterious effects? Maybe then I should be able to decide if I am?

Maybe as a parent I should decide if my children are ready to consume this media and maybe as a parent I shouldn't be relying on the industry to attach some arbitrary danger signal based on some unknown criteria so I can feel like I'm doing my job as a parent when I'm really not.

Maybe as a creator I want to exercise my judgement as to what's appropriate to serve the story I am trying to impart without constraints from someone who feels their judgement should have a higher priority than my judgement.

Don't get me wrong. I completely support your right to state what you believe, and write what you wish. It's too bad others don't see things the same way.

December 14, 2004 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger Greg McClay said...

Hi Lyle, thank you for the defense. It is probably inevitable that there will be a Superman for adults and a Superman for kids but I would hate to see that happen. To me its the equivalent of a Saturday morning cartoon starring Joe Camel.

December 14, 2004 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger Shawn Fumo said...

I hate to say it, but elseworlds or not, this sounds more like a bad fanfiction than anything...

December 15, 2004 at 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home